Hmm…no chicken or fish thawed to cook…what to do? Well…I have 1 previously grilled italian chicken breast left…some asparagus and 1/2 an onion in the fridge. Time to reach for the handy dandy eggs and make a quiche!
- Asparagus bundle (I buy my bundles at SAMs Club and this was about 1/2 the bundle) You can use broccoli or spinach in lieu of asparagus if you wish.
- 6 oz chicken breast (you can use any leftover meat…ham, steak, chicken, etc)
- Onion (I used 3 round slices of onion)
- 4 whole eggs, 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim, 1% or 2% milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup low fat cheese (i’m using Low Fat Feta next time!)
- cracked black pepper
- tomato or red bell pepper would have also been a fabulous addition!
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Chop up 3 round slices of onion.
Prepare your asparagus by breaking the end of the stems off (see picture). The stem will usually break right where it needs to (to remove the woody part). Wash asparagus. Steam or roast asparagus. I used the handy dandy steamer bags by ziploc. 1 and 1/2 minutes and they were done! Once steamed, chop asparagus into nice bite sized pieces.
Dice up leftover chicken. Since mine already had italian seasoning on it, I didn’t spice up the quiche. If you need to add herbs…you can use italian seasoning or even use some fresh dill.
Use 1 large pie pan or use 2 round cake pans like I did. Grease them well with PAM.
Even divide onion, asparagus and chicken. Add cracked black pepper.
Crack 4 whole eggs and 8 egg whites into bowl and whisk. Add milk and cheese. Mix together. Use large ladle and even divide mixture between pans. You can divide another 1/2 cup of low fat cheese on top if you wish. I have to watch my dairy, so 1/2 cup is plenty for me.
Cook on middle rack for approximately 30 minutes until set. I checked the center with a knife just to make sure it was cooked thoroughly.
Eat on it’s own or top with salsa and enjoy! You could even add a dollop of low fat sour cream if you wish.