What’s that appetizer I salivate over but pass on because it’s fried fried fried? You got it…coconut shrimp! Often my goal for this blog is trying to make one of “those” dishes in a healthier manner. So coconut shrimp has been high on the list for a while!
I don’t usually like to link pages but I did a lot more research than just the site below. So much so, I couldn’t decide which one to attach. Please research on your own as well…but overall consensus is that coconut (in it’s many forms) has significant health benefits and it’s not the evil saturated fat we grew up thinking it was!
On to the good stuff…
These ingredients make 10 Coconut Shrimp (enough for appetizer for 2). The salsa amount is for this dish and a few lunches in the near future 😉 (try using salsa on top of chicken or fish).
For Coconut Shrimp:
- 10 Raw Deveined Medium to Large Shrimp (I peeled them myself and removed the tails).
- approx 1/2 cup of Almond Meal/Flour (for future meals…I will be substituting this with brown rice flour to cut back on the fat. Almond Meal has monounsaturated fat…which is good fat, but it’s still a high caloric food. Used alone, not a big deal, but since i’m also using coconut flakes…I want to cut back next time).
- 4 tablespoon of Coconut Flakes
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 tablespoon of splenda My coconut flakes are unsweetened, so it helped to sweeten up my shrimp. I used close to 2 tbsp
For Peach Salsa:
- 3 Peaches
- 1/4 cup of roasted red peppers (I just grabbed a handful or you could use a chopped up red pepper too).
- 2 tablespoon of splenda
- red onion (optional) I used 1 round slice. I found it was overwhelming so next time I will reduce the amount or not use it at all.
- Cilantro (optional). I also used a handful here. I love cilantro…so it was a great add for me.
- 2 tablespoon of lime juice (or 2 goooood squeezes)
Shrimp: Set up your station. A small dish for your 1 egg white. A larger dish for your almond meal, coconut and splenda. A large skillet, drizzled with EVOO (set on medium heat).
After you peel and remove tail (optional) on your shrimp, dredge through egg white. Then dredge through almond meal mix. You might have to sprinkle more on top and make sure it adheres to the shrimp on all sides. Add to skillet. Repeat.
Cover and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side (you may need more…just make sure they are nice and done before plating them). Use tongs to check them to make sure you aren’t burning them. I cook on medium to medium/high heat.
Salsa: Peel and rough chop your peaches. Add to blender. Dice onion (as little or as much as you want) and add to blender. Red onion are strong…so beware! Grab a small handful of cilantro, wash and add to blender. Add red bell pepper, lime juice and splenda. Pulse to a consistency you like.
Plate and enjoy your appetizer!